Whistler is a unique place – it’s equal parts small town and international resort. And somehow this blends beautifully into a magical place to live and work for over 10,000 residents that regularly call Whistler home. However, a Whistler lifestyle is not for everyone. Housing is a unique challenge – especially for those who are just arriving in town. Pursuing a long-term career seems daunting on the surface, as most of the jobs available are for front-line customer service and hospitality positions. Even buying a new pair of socks or undies can be trying if you are not looking for thermals and you are not quite sold on what the local pharmacy has on display…
So with that in mind, here are some helpful links to guide you in your quest to loving life in Whistler:
Whistler Survival Guide – a comprehensive, helpful guide about living in Whistler. Download Here.
- Resort Municipality of Whistler – tips and resources for living in Whistler
- Whistler Community Services Society – a local resource with services such as the Whistler Welcome Week, Food Bank, Re-Use-It Centre, counseling and outreach services.
- Sea to Sky Community Services Society – for Squamish & Pemberton
- Whistler Experience Program – aka the Whistler Spirit Pass Program
- Get Bear Smart Society – tips and resources for living in bear country
- The Whistler Library – free access to computers, internet & local newspapers
- Whistler Blackcomb – lift passes, lessons and hours for the mountains
- Whistler.com – official visitor website by Tourism Whistler
- Pique Newsmagazine – published Thursdays with an extensive long-term accommodation classifieds
- Craigslist/Whistler – Whistler housing classifieds published daily *also has Squamish and Pemberton options
- Whistler Housing Rentals for Locals – Facebook group where people looking for roommates often post openings
- Whistler Housing Authority – provides a range of rental and home ownership options to Whistler employees.
- Facebook/WhistlerPersonnelSolutions – frequent temp and career opportunities postings
- Twitter/Whistler_Jobs – frequent temp and career opportunity tweets
- Whistler Personnel’s Job Board – regular job postings from WPS and local businesses
- WorkBC Employment Services Centre – employment resources for Whistler and Squamish
- WorkBC Job Board – job listings for Whistler and all of BC
- Whistler Chamber of Commerce – Whistler business directory and a selection of job listings
- Pique Newsmagazine – published every Thursday with entry level and career classifieds ads
- Craigslist/Whistler – Whistler job listings published daily
- Serving it Right Online Course – required by all servers and managers in licensed restaurants and bars.
- FoodSafe Go2HR distance ed course or Foodsafe Open School BC online course– required by kitchen staff in BC
- FoodSafe, Whistler Experience and other training programs – through the Whistler Chamber of Commerce
- Employment Standards – labour laws and workplace standards for Whistler, BC
- Canada.ca – information about Canada’s labour and workplace standards , taxes, passports
IMMIGRATION AND WORK PERMIT RESOURCES
- Work in Canada – a Government of Canada site with information on traveling and working in Canada.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada – apply to visit, study, work or immigrate to Canada.
- Travel.gc.ca – a list of Canadian Embassies and Consulates abroad.
- GoAbroad.com – a list of foreign Embassies and Consulates in Canada.