Whistler is a unique place – it’s equal parts small town and international resort. And somehow this blends beautifully into a magical place to live, work and play for over 10,000 residents that regularly call Whistler home.
However, building a Whistler lifestyle can appear tricky at the outset. Housing is a unique challenge – especially for those who are just arriving in town. Pursuing a long-term career seems daunting on the surface, as most of the jobs available appear to be front-line customer service and hospitality positions. Even buying a new pair of socks or undies can be challenging if you are not looking for thermals and you are not quite sold on what the local pharmacy has on display…
But trust us, the lifestyle you get in return is worth the effort! Plus long-term career growth opportunities are abundant and easy to build upon.
Come Live, Work and Play in Whistler with us!
Here are some helpful links to guide you in your quest to loving life in Whistler:
Whistler Survival Guide – a comprehensive, helpful guide about living in Whistler.
- Resort Municipality of Whistler – tips and resources for living in Whistler
- Whistler Community Services Society – a local resource with services such as the Whistler Welcome Week, Food Bank, Re-Use-It Centre, counseling and outreach services.
- Sea to Sky Community Services Society – for Squamish & Pemberton
- Whistler Experience Program – aka the Whistler Spirit Pass Program
- Get Bear Smart Society – tips and resources for living in bear country
- The Whistler Library – free access to computers, internet & local newspapers
- Whistler Blackcomb – lift passes, lessons and hours for the mountains
- Whistler.com – official visitor website by Tourism Whistler
- Whistler Navigator – magazine for new arrivals in Whistler with some great housing resources.
- Pique Newsmagazine – published Thursdays online and in print with a long-term accommodation classifieds section.
- Craigslist/Whistler – Whistler housing classifieds published daily *also has Squamish and Pemberton options
- Whistler Housing Crisis – Facebook group where locals with rooms or condos to rent often post them. You can also post a ‘room needed’ request when you are on the hunt.
- Whistler Housing Rentals for Locals – Facebook group where people looking for roommates often post openings
- Whistler Housing Authority – provides a range of affordable rental and home ownership waitlist options to Whistler employees.
IMMIGRATION AND WORK PERMIT RESOURCES
- Work in Canada – a Government of Canada site with information on traveling and working in Canada.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada – apply to visit, study, work or immigrate to Canada.
- Travel.gc.ca – a list of Canadian Embassies and Consulates abroad.
- GoAbroad.com – a list of foreign Embassies and Consulates in Canada.
- Whistler Immigration – Canadian Immigration specialists who can help with applications for Canadian work visas and residency.
- Perez McKenzie Immigration – Local Immigration consultants who can help with applications for Canadian work visas and residency.
- Moving2Canada.com – some additional info about the different work visas and paths to immigration that are available to foreign workers.
- Whistler Personnel’s Job Board – regular job postings from WPS and local businesses
- Facebook/WhistlerPersonnelSolutions – frequent temp and career opportunities postings
- Whistler Blackcomb (Vail Resorts) Jobs – all jobs available at the ski resort (year-round and seasonal, staff accommodation)
- Go 2 HR Jobs – local Tourism industry job postings
- Trades Training BC – trades job opportunities and training programs
- Twitter/Whistler_Jobs – frequent temp and career opportunity tweets
- Serving it Right Online Course – required by all servers and managers in licensed restaurants and bars.
- FoodSafe Go2HR distance ed course or Foodsafe Open School BC online course– required by kitchen staff in BC
- FoodSafe, Whistler Experience and other training programs – through the Whistler Chamber of Commerce
- Whistler First Aid – First Aid training and certifications including Standard First Aid, OFA Level 1, 2 & 3, CPR & AED and Emergency Childcare courses.
- Employment Standards – labour laws and workplace standards for Whistler, BC
- Jooble Canada – national job search website
- Canada.ca – information about Canada’s labour and workplace standards , taxes, passports.