A truly one of a kind opportunity has come up for a for a Chef de Partie. One of Whistler’s boutique events and lodging venue is looking for a passionate, environmental enthusiast to join their close-knit team. The food travels just minutes to tables by using the freshest ingredients from their onsite geodesic dome greenhouse and gardens. You will have a unique opportunity to experience all aspects of the kitchen and truly develop your skills. The focus is on farm to table with sustainability always in the foreground. They even have their own worm farm! This position offers to foster your culinary creations while working close alongside the Chef. Spend your workdays surrounded by 20 forested acres of inspiration.
About the Role:
- Approximately 32 hours per week. Schedule is based on bookings for both weddings and corporate groups- know your schedule a month in advance!
- Meals are Catering based, so you will know exactly how many people will be at each sitting
- Farm to table concept with the majority of ingredients grown and harvested on site
- Growth for Sous Chef opportunity after the winter
- Regular collaboration with Chef on menu development
- Strong focus on environment as the company is working towards 100% sustainability; including composting and re-using all food waste as well as a plan for on site Aquaponics
- 2+ years experience in a high-end service restaurant and/or catering
- Excited to develop professionally and personally – driven to reach the next step of Sous Chef
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Punctual – a vehicle is required, as venue is 15 minutes South of Whistler
- Passionate about food and from scratch cooking – not tempted by “shortcuts”
- Sustainability minded, well aligned to our environmental principles
- Solution focused problem solver, with a willingness to support other departments and commitment to create a fun and fulfilling workplace
- Even tempered and a positive team player; able to encourage cooperation across departments and never “above” supporting dishwashing and other duties
- Detail oriented with the ability to multitask and manage high volume/peak periods
- Well-developed communication skills – consistently treats others as valuable team members
- Familiar with and passionate about current culinary and food & beverage trends and innovations
- Maintaining the highest level of culinary excellence consistently for all groups – only putting food out that we can be 100% proud of
- Ensure safety, sanitation and cleanliness of self and work station at all times
- Consistently maintain cleanliness of kitchen and production areas in accordance with Foodsafe guidelines.
- Managing inventory/rotation
- Able to balance future prep requirements with active service
- Recycling and Compost duties – 100% of food waste is recycled and returned to gardens
- Ability to understand kitchen service requirements using/translating a Banquet Event Order as your primary tool
- Support new seasonal menu execution including testing and training new hires
- Working closely with Catering staff to ensure that all snacks, and meals are set and delivered appropriately
- Partner with catering to ensure a seamless culinary and service experience
- Accommodate dietary requests with patience and creativity
- Ensure we have your resume and profile on file here (you only have to do this once): https://www.whistler-jobs.com/apply-for-work/
- If you already have a profile with us please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being considered.
We will review all applications and contact candidates who have been selected for further consideration or an interview. Due to time constraints, we may not be able to contact all applicants. If you would like an update on your application, please email us at email@example.com